From time to time we come across links for other research or dissemination opportunities that we feel might benefit ESS members
2014 Chow-Green Women of Color Dissertation Award
We invite applications for the 2014 Esther Ngan-ling Chow and Mareyjoyce Green Scholarship, formerly known as the Women of Color Dissertation Scholarship. All applications are due no later than April 1, 2014. Please email 2014.ChowGreenAward@gmail.com with applications or questions.
Sociologists for Women in Society, has worked hard to build a coalition of women scholars who share concerns about the status of women both domestically and internationally. In keeping with that mission, SWS established a Women of Color Scholarship at its annual meeting in February 2007. The primary purposes of the scholarship are:
- To offer support to women scholars who are from underrepresented groups and are studying concerns that women of color face domestically and/or internationally.
- To increase the participation of students of color in SWS.
- Student must be a woman from a racial/ethnic group facing racial discrimination in the United States.
- Dissertation must be sociologically relevant scholarship that addresses the concerns of Women of Color, domestically and/or internationally.
- Student must be in the early stages of writing a dissertation.
- Student must be “All But Dissertation” (ABD) by the time the term of the award begins. (Must be certified by the student’s advisor or Graduate Director)
- Applicant must demonstrate a financial need for the award.
Domestic and international students are eligible to apply.
Student Application Process
Complete application packets should be emailed to 2014.ChowGreenAward@gmail.com
Each packet must include:
- A personal statement which details short and long term career and research goals. The letter must also state which racial/ethnic group(s) the applicant represents.
- A resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation addressing the content and quality of the student’s work and progress in the program. One of these letters must be from the Graduate Director or Advisor, who should address the financial need of the applicant as well as certify the date on which the applicant became or will become ABD. Please have letter writers email the letters directly to 2014.ChowGreenAward@gmail.com. Letter writer should include “Chow-Green Award” in the subject heading of their email.
- Proposal (not to exceed 5 pages) for the dissertation research which outlines:
- Purpose of research
- Work to be accomplished through scholarship sponsorship
- Time line for completing dissertation
- All of these documents (with the exception of the letters of recommendation) must be compiled into one PDF file.
Responsibilities of Recipient
- Attend the summer and winter meetings. Free registration and a $500 stipend will be available to the winner for this purpose.
- Submit a brief report (3 pages max) on the work completed during the scholarship year, no later than 1 month after the end of the award period. This report should be mailed to the SWS executive office to the attention of the “Women of Color Scholarship Committee.”
- SWS Executive Office, 1415 Jayhawk Blvd. Rm. 716 , Lawrence, KS 66045
The winner will receive a $15,000 scholarship, a plaque and SWS membership for one year. In addition the recipient will receive free registration for both the summer and winter meetings, along with an additional $500 grant to enable attendance at the winter meeting.
- Registration is now open for the 8th Biennial Meeting of the Society for the Study of Human Development to be held Nov. 3-5, 2013 at the Fort Lauderdale Beach and Spa Resort, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Discounted early registration is available until October 15, 2013. This year’s conference theme is: Rethinking Developmental Science across the Life-Span/Life-Course: Theory, Methods, and Applications For program information (including keynote and invited plenary symposia speakers) and to register for the conference and lodging go to: http://www.sshdonline.org/
- Submissions invited for an edited volume entitled SAVAGE SAND AND SURF: THE HURRICANE SANDY DISASTER are welcomed. Abstracts due 15 May, final papers 1 September, 2013. Details for interested submitters are here.